He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle… Psalm 104:14
God created the cattle after its kind on the sixth day. However, He created the grass that was going to be the food for the cattle on the third day. Our loving creator foresees the need and provides resources to fill that need. Praise to be our creator for His goodness and love.
Cows produce most of the milk that people drink and hence referred to as the foster mothers of the human race. There are around 920 different breeds of cows in the world. A group of cows is called ‘cattle.’ The world’s total cattle population is estimated to be around 1.0 billion.
Here are 7 unbelievable facts about cows:
- Cows have a tough pad of skin called dental pad instead of teeth. They have a total of 32 teeth, with eight incisors on the bottom front and six strong molars on the top and bottom of each side to grind their food.
- A cow has one stomach with four compartments: the reticulum, the rumen, the omasum, and the abomasum. They regurgitate their food and ‘chew the cud’ before final digestion.
- The age of a cow can be found out by counting the rings on its horns.
- A cow stands up and sits down on an average 14 times a day.
- It is possible to lead a cow upstairs but not downstairs, because a cow’s knees cannot bend properly to walk back down.
- Cows have a 360-degree view and can see many colors, but not red.
- Cows have a tendency to sleep close to their families, and they form close relationships with 2-4 individuals for a lifetime.