Character of the Prayer of Jabez
The Prayer of Jabez is a short but very powerful prayer that is intense, desperate, wholehearted, and unique in its faithful submission to the acceptance of God’s will in our lives.
You can experience the miracle of prayer by saying the Prayer of Jabez, which will help you to break through to a blessed life by receiving God’s promises.
His mother named him Jabez, which means “he causes pain.” So, it is certain that his birth caused either physical or emotional pain to his mother or family. He had to suffer the pain of being given a lifelong negative label.
Who was Jabez? – Conceived in Pain, Delivered in Victory
Jabez is a biblical character who is mentioned in the book of First Chronicles (1 Chronicles 4:9-10). We know that he had a good relationship with God in that he was more honorable than his brothers. He was a man of fervent prayer who believed that God alone can change his destiny as people’s names indicated their future as per ancient customs. His mother would have thought her son would have a future full of sorrow and suffering.
The Prayer of Jabez
Crying out to God with boldness, urgency, and sincerity, he wanted God’s blessings in his earthly life.
Having faith in God’s power, he prayed for four things:
- God to bless him
- God to enlarge his territory
- God’s hand to be with him
- God to keep him from evil
God was pleased with the prayer and attitude of Jabez. As he asked the right things, our Almighty God granted all his requests.
4 Key Takeaways from the Prayer of Jabez
There are four Key Takeaways from the Prayer of Jabez:
- God is the source of all blessings whether it be emotional, physical, spiritual, social, or financial. Always believe that God will bless you if you ask things according to His will.
- When you pray, ask God to enlarge your territory. Territory here does not mean only physical, but also spiritual. You can ask God for more responsibility, opportunity, and influence to do more work toward building God’s kingdom.
- We should always understand that as humans we are limited by our physical and mental abilities. God is the source of all knowledge and strength and we need God’s help to guide us through this journey of life. Always know God’s guidance provides great results, and there is no sorrow added to it.
- Finally, ask God to keep you from all harm, pain, despair, and anguish as He only can protect you from all evil. You also have to request God to keep you away from all temptations as it would lead you away from God’s destined path for your life. This is in direct relation to our Lord’s Prayer – “Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.” (Matthew 6:13). Remember, God is the great defender not only of our lives but also of our faith.
“God is the God of the whole earth and all the nations and all of history and all of life and culture and all the universe from one end of the galaxies to the other. Each of us was created to have a significant place in that great scheme. What is it? What do you pray for day in and day out about how you fit into that?” — John Piper
The prayer of Jabez is asking for God’s blessings in your life leaving the nature of the blessing to God. God is faithful to grant us our needs when we ask Him with a sincere heart. He will deliver us from all harm when we trust in His willingness and ability to do so. Saying this prayer will open your eyes to the amazing possibilities of God’s love flowing through you for His glorification.
Pray this prayer from your heart and it will help guide you through your life and understand God’s work in you. The prayer of Jabez is a package of all good things that we cherish as human beings. The prayer of Jabez is a very inspiring and popular prayer that shows us how to seek God’s will in our lives with faithfulness and love.
Do you find yourself struggling with how to pray and what to pray for? Read our popular prayers for various situations and needs that are directed to fulfill personal needs or deep spiritual enlightenment. These prayers will comfort, help, and guide you when you are worried, suffering loss, or facing uncertainty in your life.